Navigator
Search

Clock

New Gear!

Moderators: DrClayForrester, Shaggy

New Gear!

PostAuthor: Shaggy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:49 am

I remember when I was 10 years old my mom told me that she wanted me to play an instrument. She asked "What do you want to play? Violin? Tombone? Piano?"
I replied, "Drums!"
She said "No way!". You see, we lived in an apartment and giving a 10 year old a drum set would have been a bad idea undoubtably leading to our eviction.

Anyway, about 5 years later I decided to take up guitar with her support.

Since then I have been in and out of bands and always liked messing around with the drummers set, however it's always been very limited as it's kind of embarassing not knowing how to keep even the simplest of 4/4 beats. So my drumming experiance up until now has been about 2 minutes of mild drum tapping every 3 years or so for the last 15 years.

Well, I finally broke down and bought a drum kit.

I decided to buy an electronic set. First off - space. I have a small house and a LOT of music gear. An acoustic drum kit takes up space that I simply can't spare.

Besides, I'm a guitar player, I will suck at drums for quite some time. I would rather suck at lower volumes (simply not possible with an acoustic set) than to suck out loud.

Also - If a drummer ever comes over and we play together I get to do what just about every guitar player on earth wishes he could do .... turn down the volume of the drummer.

And that's not to mention the ease of recording. Simply plug the drum kit into my 8 track and go. No messing with dozens of microphones and mic levels. Plug and play simplicity.

The kit is made by Simmons, which is pretty much the company that started it all. They may not have been the absolute first, but they were the best in their day. So it is at least respectable ya know.

The best part is that it has MIDI. This means I can plug into my computer and use the set to trigger all the drum sounds I already have on my computer. So not only do I have the Simmons sounds built in, but if I want to get really technical about it, I can use my computer and have Alex Van Halens snare or kick sound.... any sound really as long as it's on my computer and I DO have TONS of samples.

If you want to check them out:
www.simmonsdrums.net
Moderator - feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns about this site.
Shaggy
Gov't Cheese

Return to Electronic Drums and Drum Machines