Navigator
Search

Clock

What is your current favorite Pickups

All you need to know to get the sound from the strings to the amps...

Moderators: DrClayForrester, Shaggy

What is your current favorite Pickups

PostAuthor: Shaggy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:52 am

Thought I would ask to see what the general concensus is. I used to be a Seymour Duncan man. I used to exclusively use the JB or '59s. Now, I almost am embarassed to admit, I'm hooked on 2 different stock p'up. I love my 84T which is Gibson made and comes stock in the new MusicYo Kramer 1984 Re-issue. I love the tone of this p'up. I also recently bought an OLP MM1 and added a Floyd to it. My original intention was to add some better pickups, but the more I play the thing, I've found I LOVE those stock OLP pickups.

So, what is your current fave?

I was going to run a poll - but there are just too many options out there.
Moderator - feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns about this site.
User avatar
Shaggy
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:55 am
Location: Aurora, Illinois

Re: What is your current favorite Pickups

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:03 am

Shaggy wrote:Thought I would ask to see what the general concensus is. I used to be a Seymour Duncan man. I used to exclusively use the JB or '59s. Now, I almost am embarassed to admit, I'm hooked on 2 different stock p'up. I love my 84T which is Gibson made and comes stock in the new MusicYo Kramer 1984 Re-issue. I love the tone of this p'up. I also recently bought an OLP MM1 and added a Floyd to it. My original intention was to add some better pickups, but the more I play the thing, I've found I LOVE those stock OLP pickups.

So, what is your current fave?

I was going to run a poll - but there are just too many options out there.


Dude, you're funny. I was thinking about starting this exact thread about 15 minutes ago. LOL

Humbucker wise, I have to say I LOVE my Wolfie pickups. As far as replacements go, I'm a Seymour Duncan man, specifically the '59 and the Custom-Custom.

Single coils... Hmmm... I'm varied. I love the AlNiCo II Pro in the bridge of my black Strat. I also have a bridge Texas Special in the NECK of my hardtail Strat. Tasty and smokey. :)
User avatar
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: Where spandex and Aquanet still reign supreme

PostAuthor: Welt » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:44 pm

I LOVE the pickups in my Wolfie. As for replacements, I'm a DiMarzio man. I love the Tone Zone.

Haven't tried Seymour Duncans yet.

Welt
stank cheese
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:28 pm

Re: What is your current favorite Pickups

PostAuthor: DrClayForrester » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:09 am

Shaggy wrote:Thought I would ask to see what the general concensus is. I used to be a Seymour Duncan man. I used to exclusively use the JB or '59s. Now, I almost am embarassed to admit, I'm hooked on 2 different stock p'up. I love my 84T which is Gibson made and comes stock in the new MusicYo Kramer 1984 Re-issue. I love the tone of this p'up. I also recently bought an OLP MM1 and added a Floyd to it. My original intention was to add some better pickups, but the more I play the thing, I've found I LOVE those stock OLP pickups.

So, what is your current fave?

I was going to run a poll - but there are just too many options out there.


I agree with you on the OLP pickups, Shag, but I find that they're just a bit too bass-y for my taste. Other than that, though, they scream pretty loudly.

I've been a Duncan fan for as long as I've been playing. I'm just happier with the tone I get from them than I am with DiMarzios. My Jackson PS2 (which I bought at a hock shop for $200) had a Tone Zone in it, and I liked it, but it didn't have the bite that the Duncans have, to my ear. That pickup is now in my Frankie, at least until I get the money together to rework the whole thing... Then it's getting a Custom Custom...

As far as single coil... Fender Lace pickups can't be beat, in my opinion. Or the Texas Specials. Nothing has a tone like Fenders.

DCF

EDIT: You might want to check out the pickups that Mitch sells over at MeanStreet's sister site, Axcessories. They're the same ones that he uses as stock on his Intruders, and they're very similar to the OLP ones, but with more power and a bit less low end.
"The Truth is out there, but there are lies inside your head." - Terry Pratchett

Image
User avatar
DrClayForrester
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Port Huron, Michigan

PostAuthor: Dino » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:50 am

I agree with the statements on the stock OLP pickups.
Before I even got my OLP, I had planned on changing out the pickups.
Who would have thought stock pickups (from China no less) in a $200 guitar would sound good, right?
Then I started reading up on these guitars and surprisingly enough, ALOT of people liked them.
So I promised myself, when I received my OLP, I would give them an honest chance, and I'm glad I did.
That doesn't necessarily mean they would sound good in any other guitar, but for the OLP, they're keepers. :wink:

For most all other trem spaced "build up" guitars, I either like to use Tone Zones or SD '59's, depending on the type wood the body is made of.
For all other guitars with standard spacing, I really like the sound of the Gibson '57 Classics.
Some PRS pickups are decent too.

Geez ... I guess I use a little bit of everything, huh? :)

One day, I'd really like to spend some time and try to learn how to make my own. :)
User avatar
Dino
stank cheese
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:28 pm

PostAuthor: Pappy » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:03 am

Ive bought some good pickups on Ebay, no namers. They are in my sunburst LP copy at the moment. I did want Alnico II's but didnt wanna spend the cash right then.

My VH1 has an Epiphone humbucker from a LP special.

The Zakk has EMG selects, which Ive never heard :oops:

The Jackson Rhoads sports a SD 59 Model in the neck and SD Duncan Custom at the bridge, a really good combination for me.

The 5150 build will also be using a SD Duncan Custom!

So I guess its Seymour Duncans

Pappy
stank cheese
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:17 pm

I just put a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge of my Ibanez and I'm loving it. I want to replace the FRED that I have in the neck now. I need something warmer there because now I use the bridge pickup for everything since it sounds so good.

Metal Dan
stank cheese
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:27 am

PostAuthor: Shaggy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Metal Dan wrote:I just put a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge of my Ibanez and I'm loving it. I want to replace the FRED that I have in the neck now. I need something warmer there because now I use the bridge pickup for everything since it sounds so good.


For the money - and this is just a suggestion, maybe look on e-bay for some OLP pickups. I love mine and you should be able to pick them up for all of about $5 :D

Note: I'm partly kidding in that post, partly serious.
Moderator - feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns about this site.
User avatar
Shaggy
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:55 am
Location: Aurora, Illinois

PostAuthor: Bainzy » Sat May 06, 2006 12:41 pm

Bareknuckle VHII - without a doubt. Perfect pickup for my custom guitar 8)
User avatar
Bainzy
stank cheese
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:24 pm
Location: UK

PostAuthor: theFrankensteinMan » Tue May 30, 2006 3:52 pm

i myself am a seymour duncan man- i use mainly 59's and Custom Custom's

i also like Dimarzio tone Zones tho-

i am also in love with the meanstreet intruder/exile pickups the tb77
they are based on wolfie pickups

u can get them at axcessories.com (mitch's parts site)
gear geeks rock!!!!!!

theFrankensteinMan
stank cheese
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 30, 2006 3:27 pm
Location: New Jersey

PostAuthor: Ray Salamon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:29 pm

My Made in USA ESP has EMG's in it.
My custom jazz 5er has Bartolinis in it (fretless tone galore)
My Spector also has EMGs in it.
My (coming) Warwick has MECs in it.

Each bass sounds great with it's matched pickups. Overall, I turn to EMG as my starting ground. Usually they have something that'll sing nicely - or if not, it's a matter of winding to make them how I want ;). Though, the MECs in the 'wick sound _KILLER_.
Bass assault rig:
Spector NS 5 string
Custom fretless jazz type 5 string
Peavey T-max used a pre-amp
handbuilt (by me!) 1200W@2ohm amp
Ashdown 4x10
Ashdown 1x15
User avatar
Ray Salamon
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:18 am

Ray Salamon wrote:My Made in USA ESP has EMG's in it.
My custom jazz 5er has Bartolinis in it (fretless tone galore)
My Spector also has EMGs in it.
My (coming) Warwick has MECs in it.

Each bass sounds great with it's matched pickups. Overall, I turn to EMG as my starting ground. Usually they have something that'll sing nicely - or if not, it's a matter of winding to make them how I want ;). Though, the MECs in the 'wick sound _KILLER_.


I actually haven't tried EMGs in a bass... I have an 81/85 set in my Destroyer... But that's basically my experience with EMGs.
User avatar
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: Where spandex and Aquanet still reign supreme

PostAuthor: Ray Salamon » Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:45 pm

Tom Scioscia wrote:
Ray Salamon wrote:My Made in USA ESP has EMG's in it.
My custom jazz 5er has Bartolinis in it (fretless tone galore)
My Spector also has EMGs in it.
My (coming) Warwick has MECs in it.

Each bass sounds great with it's matched pickups. Overall, I turn to EMG as my starting ground. Usually they have something that'll sing nicely - or if not, it's a matter of winding to make them how I want ;). Though, the MECs in the 'wick sound _KILLER_.


I actually haven't tried EMGs in a bass... I have an 81/85 set in my Destroyer... But that's basically my experience with EMGs.

They're good, but they're best when matched it a good pre and heavy woods.
Bass assault rig:
Spector NS 5 string
Custom fretless jazz type 5 string
Peavey T-max used a pre-amp
handbuilt (by me!) 1200W@2ohm amp
Ashdown 4x10
Ashdown 1x15
User avatar
Ray Salamon
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:26 am

Ray Salamon wrote:
Tom Scioscia wrote:
Ray Salamon wrote:My Made in USA ESP has EMG's in it.
My custom jazz 5er has Bartolinis in it (fretless tone galore)
My Spector also has EMGs in it.
My (coming) Warwick has MECs in it.

Each bass sounds great with it's matched pickups. Overall, I turn to EMG as my starting ground. Usually they have something that'll sing nicely - or if not, it's a matter of winding to make them how I want ;). Though, the MECs in the 'wick sound _KILLER_.


I actually haven't tried EMGs in a bass... I have an 81/85 set in my Destroyer... But that's basically my experience with EMGs.

They're good, but they're best when matched it a good pre and heavy woods.


What are your EMG loaded basses made of?
User avatar
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: Where spandex and Aquanet still reign supreme

PostAuthor: Ray Salamon » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:40 pm

Tom Scioscia wrote:
Ray Salamon wrote:
Tom Scioscia wrote:
Ray Salamon wrote:My Made in USA ESP has EMG's in it.
My custom jazz 5er has Bartolinis in it (fretless tone galore)
My Spector also has EMGs in it.
My (coming) Warwick has MECs in it.

Each bass sounds great with it's matched pickups. Overall, I turn to EMG as my starting ground. Usually they have something that'll sing nicely - or if not, it's a matter of winding to make them how I want ;). Though, the MECs in the 'wick sound _KILLER_.


I actually haven't tried EMGs in a bass... I have an 81/85 set in my Destroyer... But that's basically my experience with EMGs.

They're good, but they're best when matched it a good pre and heavy woods.


What are your EMG loaded basses made of?

That's where I contradict myself; maple bodied with maple neck. Alder body with maple neck.
What that achieve on bass, is a serious amount of mids/low mids.
If you want solid, all around tone though, drop EMGs in a heavy/dark instrument.
EMGs naturally bring out mids and low mids.
Maple body adds brightness to the overall sound. Still very deep sounding though as well. Queensryche is a prime example of this. Listen to Operation Mindcrime for a prime example. Their bassist plays the same bass I do (EMG loaded Spector).
Maple neck adds snappiness to it. Especially pronounced when slapping and poping.
Bass assault rig:
Spector NS 5 string
Custom fretless jazz type 5 string
Peavey T-max used a pre-amp
handbuilt (by me!) 1200W@2ohm amp
Ashdown 4x10
Ashdown 1x15
User avatar
Ray Salamon
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:56 am

Ray Salamon wrote:
Tom Scioscia wrote:
Ray Salamon wrote:
Tom Scioscia wrote:
Ray Salamon wrote:My Made in USA ESP has EMG's in it.
My custom jazz 5er has Bartolinis in it (fretless tone galore)
My Spector also has EMGs in it.
My (coming) Warwick has MECs in it.

Each bass sounds great with it's matched pickups. Overall, I turn to EMG as my starting ground. Usually they have something that'll sing nicely - or if not, it's a matter of winding to make them how I want ;). Though, the MECs in the 'wick sound _KILLER_.


I actually haven't tried EMGs in a bass... I have an 81/85 set in my Destroyer... But that's basically my experience with EMGs.

They're good, but they're best when matched it a good pre and heavy woods.


What are your EMG loaded basses made of?

That's where I contradict myself; maple bodied with maple neck. Alder body with maple neck.
What that achieve on bass, is a serious amount of mids/low mids.
If you want solid, all around tone though, drop EMGs in a heavy/dark instrument.
EMGs naturally bring out mids and low mids.
Maple body adds brightness to the overall sound. Still very deep sounding though as well. Queensryche is a prime example of this. Listen to Operation Mindcrime for a prime example. Their bassist plays the same bass I do (EMG loaded Spector).
Maple neck adds snappiness to it. Especially pronounced when slapping and poping.


Sounds like a plan. My brother wants a new bass eventually and I was trying to talk him into letting me build him an ash bodied Jazz Bass with EMGs. However, I don't know if heavy is a requirement... After all, David Gilmour's red '57 reissue Strat is a light alder body. :)
User avatar
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: Where spandex and Aquanet still reign supreme

PostAuthor: Ray Salamon » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:18 pm

Ask him what kind of music he wants to play... I can make him a pretty perfect suggestion off of that ;).
Bass assault rig:
Spector NS 5 string
Custom fretless jazz type 5 string
Peavey T-max used a pre-amp
handbuilt (by me!) 1200W@2ohm amp
Ashdown 4x10
Ashdown 1x15
User avatar
Ray Salamon
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:47 pm

Ray Salamon wrote:Ask him what kind of music he wants to play... I can make him a pretty perfect suggestion off of that ;).


Well, he's into a lot of different stuff, but most of it is heavier music. He currently has MIM P and J basses with the stock pickups. I figure EMGs in a Jazz with an Ash body would be good for what he plays because it'll range from Funeral For a Friend to Coheed to Trivium to just some old school metal. He primarilly plays bass with a pick, but sometimes with his fingers for different tones. He likes Jazz necks because they're narrower at the nut and he's like that snap that all the Ash basses he's tried have.
User avatar
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: Where spandex and Aquanet still reign supreme

PostAuthor: Ray Salamon » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:34 pm

If you could do Either Ash, or Mahogany body with Bartolini pickups, he'd probably be in tonal heaven. If it still didn't suit him right, he should either learn to EQ or get a different amp setup :-p.
Bass assault rig:
Spector NS 5 string
Custom fretless jazz type 5 string
Peavey T-max used a pre-amp
handbuilt (by me!) 1200W@2ohm amp
Ashdown 4x10
Ashdown 1x15
User avatar
Ray Salamon
Gov't Cheese
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:09 pm

Ray Salamon wrote:If you could do Either Ash, or Mahogany body with Bartolini pickups, he'd probably be in tonal heaven. If it still didn't suit him right, he should either learn to EQ or get a different amp setup :-p.


Hmmm... Haven't played with Bartolinis in quite a while... However, something tells me my brother will be happier with EMGs.
User avatar
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese
 
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:24 pm
Location: Where spandex and Aquanet still reign supreme


Return to Pickups

Who is online

Registered users: No registered users

cron