Navigator
Search

Clock

Rack setup

Moderators: DrClayForrester, Shaggy

Rack setup

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:04 pm

Ok, let me throw something else out there.
I've got about 1000$-1500 to spend... 2000$ if I push it... but I'd rather stay closet to the 1k end...

What can I get that's good sounding? I'm seeing ADA MP-1s for 100$ on ebay right now so if I go that route it should be easy to get a cheap but effective rack going...

Let me know your suggestions....

-Dan

Metal Dan
stank cheese

Re: Rack setup

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:41 pm

Metal Dan wrote:Ok, let me throw something else out there.
I've got about 1000$-1500 to spend... 2000$ if I push it... but I'd rather stay closet to the 1k end...

What can I get that's good sounding? I'm seeing ADA MP-1s for 100$ on ebay right now so if I go that route it should be easy to get a cheap but effective rack going...

Let me know your suggestions....

-Dan

My personal recommendation? Line6 PODxt Pro and the FBV Longboard. Run that through a PA or anything else with a flat frequency response (due to the fact that you're already pumping up the midrange with the amp and cabinet modeling, so if you put it through a guitar amp, you'll have mud).

If you don't want to go the modeling route, TC Electronics and a Van Weelden Gainland preamp.
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:44 pm

Tom,

Where can I find more info on that?

Metal Dan
stank cheese

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:45 pm

PS - I dont like POD :D

Metal Dan
stank cheese

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:46 pm

AND SUGGEST SOMETHING THAT DOESNT HAVE TO DO WITH VAN HALEN :lol:

j/k

:roll:

Metal Dan
stank cheese

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:39 am

Metal Dan wrote:AND SUGGEST SOMETHING THAT DOESNT HAVE TO DO WITH VAN HALEN :lol:

j/k

:roll:

LOL Well, the reason I suggest it is because... Most thing that can actually get anywhere near EVH's tone (besides EVH's own Marshall) tend to be fairly versatile. Just look at the 5150. A ton of metal bands use it. Cory's in love with his 5150-II head. Ted Nugent uses it. Hell, I saw a pedal steel player playing through a 5150 combo on TV once. It was WEIRD, but sounded SO GOOD. And none of them sound at all like Eddie. :)

The nice thing about the TC Electronics stuff is the ability to EQ the crap out of everything, too, besides the effects. A high gain preamp, a versatile set of effects, and EQ options galore, and you're set. :)
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:04 am

Yeah, but the single channel thing ruins it for me :cry:

I've been doing research all night. What do you think of this?
Engl E530 (preamp)
Peavey Classic 60/60 (poweramp)
Marshall Cab

That with the rack case will cost under 1000$. Its all on ebay right now :lol:
I figure I can add the power conditioner and something like the G Major for effects later on down the road.

Metal Dan
stank cheese

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:06 am

Metal Dan wrote:Yeah, but the single channel thing ruins it for me :cry:

I've been doing research all night. What do you think of this?
Engl E530 (preamp)
Peavey Classic 60/60 (poweramp)
Marshall Cab

That with the rack case will cost under 1000$. Its all on ebay right now :lol:
I figure I can add the power conditioner and something like the G Major for effects later on down the road.

But the nice thing about it is that you could use the EQs and gain structure of an effects rack to make it distortion multi channel.

Engle makes nice stuff. :) The only thing I'm concerned about is if the Peave power amp will do 8ohms a side to match that Marshall cab in stereo.
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese

PostAuthor: Metal Dan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:30 am

I know someone who runs the same setup I'm gunning for with the Engl so I'm sure it does.

Metal Dan
stank cheese

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:26 am

Metal Dan wrote:I know someone who runs the same setup I'm gunning for with the Engl so I'm sure it does.

Then the only thing you have to do is let me hear it when you get it. :)
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese

PostAuthor: Dino » Tue May 30, 2006 8:07 am

My rack is 4-space and only holds the essentials ...

* AKG Wireless system
* Furman Power Conditioner
* Korg Tuner
* TC Electronics G-Major

I only wish I could find a user-friendly foot controller for the G-major.
I'm currently using a Behringer and have come to find it's very user UN-friendly.

Both it and myself have alot of limitations. :cry:
Dino
stank cheese

PostAuthor: Tom_Scioscia » Tue May 30, 2006 2:56 pm

Dino wrote:My rack is 4-space and only holds the essentials ...

* AKG Wireless system
* Furman Power Conditioner
* Korg Tuner
* TC Electronics G-Major

I only wish I could find a user-friendly foot controller for the G-major.
I'm currently using a Behringer and have come to find it's very user UN-friendly.

Both it and myself have alot of limitations. :cry:

Doesn't TC make their own MIDI controller? Or you could see if you could find an old ART X-15. And... I could be wrong, but I think that the Line6 FBV is also MIDI ready.
Tom_Scioscia
Big Cheese

PostAuthor: Shaggy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:19 am

I've got a 6 space rack and looking to upgrade to maybe a 12 or 16 space.

My biggest suggestion is to buy a rack that is much bigger than you think you need because you will always want more space.

I figure if I buy a bigger rack, I can always use the empty spaces for drawers or shelves which would come in handy for cords, pics, tape, peg winder, strings, etc.

My rack consists of:
VKi V-99B Power Conditioner
Nady RW-1 Wireless
Sabine RT-7000 Tuner
Hush Systems IIBX
ART SGX2000 with Express Upgrade.

I like the ART because, in my opinion, it has really lush sounding effects. Alot of them are analog too. It has it's own seperate effects loops (2 of them), Tube preamp, etc. It can be used in an effects loop (like I am) but where it really shines is in recording. It also works just as well for recording vocals. The ease of programming is a definate plus as well. I truly believe that ART was WAY WAY ahead of their time with the multi effects processor. Unfortunately, they kind of got a bad rap because of the inferior ones on the market at the time.

Now, keep in mind, just because you have the effects doesn't mean you have to use them. They are nice to have just in case. That's the way I look at it anyway. I'd rather HAVE effects I don't need than to NEED effects I don't HAVE.

Effects wise, all I'm using is a Stereo Delay (250ms left, 500ms Right), EQ, and a Stereo Detuner. For recording I add sometimes add some compression.

You can pick up old ART SGX 2000 units for a couple hundred. You can also get a midi controller (X-15 Ultrafoot) for pretty cheap. For the money, you just can't go wrong - at least to try it out.

I love rack units .... so much easier, nicer, etc than pedals.

The HUSH unit is needed for the 5150 since it's so high gain and kind of noisy. If you are planning on using a high gain tube amp, I would also recomend one of these. VERY nice. It's basically like a noise gate - but works totally differently and is MUCH better than a simple Noise Gate. It doesn't clip your sound or cut your sustain. It JUST takes out the hiss.

The Wireless, Tuner, and Power Conditioner - well, they are self explanitory.

Basically though - to each his own. Ultimately though, I would suggest a power conditioner, Hush unit, and multi effects processor.
Moderator - feel free to contact me with any questions/concerns about this site.
Shaggy
Gov't Cheese

Return to Guitar Amps